Editors note: What are the keys to achievement? What is the secret that makes some leaders a great success? Often, it’s as simple as being focused on the big picture – at work, and in life. These questions posed by fellow coach, Robert Pasick, are a great starting point for checking in on your current alignment with your long-term goals.730
Recently, I have been doing Career Wellness Checkups with my current and former clients. I have found that, just as we have a yearly checkup with our doctors to try to detect health issues that may be arising or have been overlooked, we can benefit by giving ourselves a yearly career review. This is different than a performance review where we are limited to feedback from our supervisor on how we are performing on our job. Here are some of the questions that I have been asking them to consider. I would suggest answering these questions and then reviewing them with a friend or advisor. Of course, I would be happy to consult with you, if you wish.
- Are you earning as much money as you think you deserve?
- Are you feeling fully engaged in your work?
- Are you working at a level where you feel like you are reaching your full potential?
- Are you achieving as much as you want to achieve?
- Are you working with the type of people you respect and enjoy?
- Are you passionate about the work you are doing?
- Are you utilizing your unique talents much of the time?
- Are you working in a career which embodies your values?
- Are you working for a company and a supervisor whom you respect?
- Is your level of stress reasonable or excessive?
- Do you have a stretch goal that would enable you to move to the next level in your career?
I am working on putting together a Career Wellness Workshop for the beginning of August, if you would be interested in attending, or if you have other questions which should be included in the Career Wellness Checkup.
[box type=”download”] If you like plans and worksheets, check out the Personal Plan document from the Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS) for a tool to help you capture your own long term goals. The Personal Plan follows the same framework as the business planning document (the Vision/Traction Organizer) offered by EOS. To download a free copy of the Personal Plan, scroll to the bottom of the downloads list and look for the heading “Additional Tools” to find the personal plan document.[/box]